Update May 28,2020 GUN PERMITS:
1) The Sheriff’s Office is not making any further appointments for the processing of Gun Permits. Our appointments are full through Friday, June 5, 2020. We are going to resume our regular business hours on Monday, June 8, 2020. The normal hours of operation for Gun Permits are 9:00 a.m. – 3:45 p.m. Please note due to the Covid-19 situation, we could experience a large volume of applicants when we re-open.
UPDATE: May 13, 2020: The Sheriff Sale scheduled for Friday June 5, 2020, has been cancelled. Next sale date is July 10, 2020, at 10:00 AM.
Update: March 19, 2020:Execution of Orders and Writs of Eviction and/or Possession of residential properties in Washington County is STAYED through April 14, 2020, by Court Order.
The sheriff is the chief law enforcement officer of the county and is called upon in times of riot, strikes, patrolling duties, courthouse security, and the transportation of prisoners, juveniles, and mental patients.
- Conduct the sale of real estate and personal property
- Serve civil processes (lawsuits), PFAs (Protection from Abuse Orders), subpoenas, and other legal documents
- Issue licenses to carry concealed weapons, licenses to sell firearms, and licenses to buy and sell precious metals
- Serve criminal, domestic relations, and bench warrants
- Provide transportation for prisoners and dependent / delinquent children as per court orders
- Provide security for the county courthouse, properties, and county parks
- Enforce court orders and injunctions
- Enforce laws of the commonwealth and to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania